We have been asked on a number of occasions about where one can receive formal meditation and mindfulness training course in Singapore. To provide those
interested with a convenient resource and help them make a better informed decision, we have decided to compile a list of secular meditation training providers who provide formal and regular training programs in mindfulness.
This is an open-source list, so feedback is more than welcome. This is by no means an exhaustive list, so do let us know of any other providers that we may have missed out on.
If you are keen to give meditation and mindfulness a try, here are some initial questions that you may wish to address before choosing a program.
- Is the instructor qualified? Mindfulness training is a deep dive into the human condition, so the question here is whether the instructor
is able to create a space where you are comfortable practicing and being yourself. Formal training in mindfulness training from an established
institution should be a baseline requirement, and formal training in psychology is an added bonus. Also, consider reaching out to the instructor
to see whether there is rapport between the two of you.
- Scheduling? We lead busy lives, so it’s important to find a program that aligns with your schedule. Commitment and consistency of
practice are key here. You may find that classes and individual practice take time and can be disruptive. But remember, Einstein said that insanity
is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. So expect a bit of inconvenience and stepping out of your comfort zone if you seek transformational
- Price? There is a reason for differences in price, so don’t be afraid to ask. If you have genuine financial difficulties, ask for
a discount. The worst that can happen is that the provider says no.
- Group or individual? Both are just as effective. The key is intention and commitment. Group training offers a different dynamic from
individual sessions, in that it provides diversity of perspectives and mutual support. There is something powerful about hearing someone else share
their experiences with meditation. That said, not everyone is comfortable practicing with others, so an individual program might be a good start
to gain traction.
- Types of meditation? Given that mindfulness has over 2,000 years of history, there are many variants and traditions of mindfulness,
and some threads include religious connotations. To keep it simple, we have deliberately picked only secular providers here. For us, mindfulness
is the discipline of paying attention to the moment while suspending judgement, which we believe is a universal resource or ability that we all
can harness. Don’t be afraid to ask the provider’s take on this matter.
- Beginner, intermediate, advanced? In mindfulness training, everyone is a beginner, or learning to practice with a beginner’s mind.
Of course, there are seasoned practitioners versus people who are just starting out. So again, feel free to ask what about the difference between
the different programs that a provider offers.
(Updated on 6 July 2016)
|Name of Provider||Type of Meditation Training Programs||Name of Instructors||Email Address|
|Emerge Performance||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8- Week Meditation Bootcamps|
2. Monthly Mindfulness Refresher Meetups
3. Mindfulness-Based Performance Enhancement 4-Week Meditation Bootcamps
4. Mindful Performance Byte-Size Talks for Corporate & Organisations5. One-on-One “The Mindful Executive” Coaching
|Lim Han Eeemail@example.com|
|Lifesteps||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8-week Programs||Sheryl Bathman,|
Dr Choo Wei Chieh
|Brahm Centre||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8-week Programs|
2. Mindfulness Course – Beginner / Intermediate 4 week Programs
|Angie Chew, Eric Limfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mindful Moments||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8-week Programs|
2. Mindfulness talks, workshops and training
|Shan You Counselling Centre||1. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy 8-week Programs|
2. Mindfulness for Teens Programs
3. Mid-month Mindful Space @ Shan You
4. Mindfulness Introduction-Tasters5. Monthly Mediation Class @ Shan You
|Jane Wong, Charlene Teo, Mary Gohemail@example.com|
|The Minding Centre||1. Monthly Mindfulness Meditation for Beginners|
2. Personal meditation coaching
|Mindfulness Initiative @ SMU||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Courses|
2. Working and Leading with Mindfulness Courses
3. Mindfulness Intensive Courses
4. Mindfulness Space @ SMU Weekly Sessions5. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Courses
|Assoc Prof Jochem Reb, Connie Wongfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nirvana Mind||1. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8-week Programs|
2. Mindful Mondays Monthly Meditation Sessions
3. Foundations of Meditation Workshops
4. Mindfulness Pop-up Events
5. Meditation for Kids Workshops6. Kundalini Yoga and Meditation Sessions
|Helen, Jess, Kirstyemail@example.com|
|Mindful Insights||1. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy 8-week Programs|
2. Workplace Mindfulness Training Programs
3. .b Mindfulness Training for Teens4. Mindfulness Introduction Talks
|The Open Centre||1. Mindfulness at Work Programs|
2. Mindfulness in School Program
3. Resilience & Mindfulness for Kids Program